Deer Season Driving Tips
It's important to remember that deer are often more active in the fall and winter months, which increases the risk of deer-related car accidents. To stay safe when driving during deer season, consider following the tips below:
- Be extra cautious when driving at dusk or dawn as these are the times when most deer-related car crashes occur.
- Slow down and proceed with caution in areas where deer crossing signs are posted.
- Deer often travel in groups. If you see one deer cross the road, expect others to follow.
- When driving at night, use your high beam headlights if the road is free of oncoming traffic. This will increase your visibility and give you additional time to react.
- Make sure that you and your passengers wear seat belts at all times.
Information from the Mississippi Department of Public Safety.